New regulations amending section 249A of the Pensions Act 2004 came into force in January 2019. Before this, trustees were required to have sufficient internal controls to ensure that the scheme was run in accordance with its rules and the law. The regulator's Code 09: Internal Controls explained its expectations.
The change introduced a new requirement to establish and operate an effective system of governance, including internal controls, with that system of governance being proportionate to the size, natu...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Pensions
- Unlimited access to real-time news, analysis and opinion from the industry
- Receive our in-depth monthly magazine in either print or digital format
- Access our Sustainable Investment Hub covering news and opinion from thought leaders in the ESG space
- Receive important and breaking news stories selected by the Editors in our daily newsletter
- Hear from industry experts and other forward-thinking leaders
- Receive a monthly members-only newsletter with exclusive opinion pieces from leading industry experts and a feature from the magazine in advance of its release date