Just under 20% of firms know of one or more employees that have been victims of a pension scam, a Barnett Waddingham study has found.
However, in the survey of 243 UK organisations conducted in July, 50% of respondents said they knew none, and 31% were unsure.
Some 38% of all organisations said they have raised awareness of pension scam to safeguard employees against being scammed; 40% of these said they know at least one of their employees have been victims; 42% said none have been scammed, and 18% were unsure.
Of the total pool of respondents, just over a third said they have not raised awareness on scams but are keen to do so just to be safe, while 28% have not run any awareness campaigns and are not looking to do so.
It comes after The Pensions Regulator (TPR) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) launched a refreshed ScamSmart campaign to warn savers about unsolicited pension communications earlier this month following a rise in scams since the pension freedoms.
Barnett Waddingham surveyed 200 anonymous organisations representing UK plc and the public sector, and 43 of the consultancy's own clients.
Commenting on the findings, Barnett Waddingham partner Paul Leandro told PP: "Given that the police are reporting millions of pounds are being stolen from pensions through fraud, and that the FCA and TPR have recently launched their ScamSmart campaigns, it's surprising that only 40% of employers are raising employees' awareness of potential scams."
He added that is concerning that some employers say they do not intend to do anything in terms of raising awareness, "particularly as it is employers that contribute the most to pensions and if their objective is to support employees into retirement, this is at risk of being scuppered by fraudsters".
The consultancy also asked employers about the impact of Freedom and Choice since its introduction in 2015. More than a third (36%) of respondents said employees that are looking to retire are exercising more choice with their pensions.
When asked if employees were looking to retire or partially retire earlier or later than before, since the freedoms were introduced, 51% of respondents said there was no change. However, over a fifth (22%) said employees were retiring later, 18% said earlier, and 9% were unsure.
It is significant that 40% of firms are seeing a behavioural change in their workforce, said the report.
Employer research by Barnett Waddingham and Standard Life last November showed that 36% of employers felt the freedoms had already impacted how employees were choosing to exit the workplace.
Commenting on the survey results at a roundtable on 22 August, Leandro said: "There is no initial analysis with or dialogue with employees to actually ask what they want.
"They put provisions in place because it is a ‘nice to have' at the time. If employers want to improve financial health, they need to do an analysis first.
"Employees need to be educated to understand their benefits and how to use them so they can make good choices."
The study also found just under 50% of employers were contributing above the 2% employer minimum for auto-enrolment (AE) contributions to their employees' pensions.
Meanwhile, just over a quarter said they were contributing more than the minimum for some eligible employees. Just under a fifth said they were contributing at the minimum rate, while 6% were unsure.
In April this year, total AE contributions were raised to a total of 5%. Next April, minimum employer contributions will be increased to 3%, with total contributions rising to 8%.
Master trusts’ investment strategies have grown and become more sophisticated over the last three years, but “growing pains” are hindering progress, according to the Defined Contribution Investment Forum (DCIF).
More than half of BlackRock’s flagship UK defined contribution (DC) default fund’s assets will be invested in ESG strategies by June 2021.
Graeme Bold says the right communications can improve both the level of savings and the outcomes for savers.
More than half of UK savers agree they are unable to save sufficiently to achieve the retirement they want, according to research by BlackRock.